The Sport for Life Society, Coaching Association of Canada, and HIGH FIVE® have come together to support recreation leaders, coaches, and others in becoming a Physical Literacy Instructor. The Physical Literacy Instructor Program is a blended e-learning and in-person training experience that provides the opportunity for an individual to become a recognized Physical Literacy Instructor. The purpose of the four training modules is to equip front-line physical activity workers with the ability to design and deliver quality programs which effectively enhance the development of physical literacy. Upon completion of the Physical Literacy Instructor Program, participants will be able to recognize, use, and implement quality physical activity programs which support the development of physical literacy.
The program has four training modules which combine text based information, video, interactive elements, and in-person workshops for the learner to acquire the knowledge and understanding to develop physical literacy. Modules are listed in order of pre-requirement. Note that Modules 2 and 3 can be taken in reverse order as well.
- Sport for Life Introduction to Physical Literacy (online)
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (in-person workshop) or HIGH Five Sport (in-person workshop)
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills (in-person workshop)
- Sport for Life Quality Physical Literacy Experiences & Online Evaluation (in-person workshop)
Learners are required to successfully complete all four training modules and related learning activities to receive a certificate of achievement.
Participants who successfully complete all four training modules will receive the following:
- Downloadable / Printable certificate of achievement (does not expire)
- Formal recognition as a Physical Literacy Instructor
PRIMARY: Recreation management & staff working to design, develop, and deliver physical activity and quality sport programs; sport coaches and instructors who design, develop, and deliver sport programs.
SECONDARY: Education staff (i.e. teachers), public health staff, and others responsible for delivery of physical activity programs.
How to become a recognized physical literacy instructor
Complete each module separately through workshops independently offered and attended. Proof of module completion will be required before the Physical Literacy Instructor Program certificate of achievement will be awarded.
- Introduction to Physical Literacy (online) - Offered by the Sport for Life Society.
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (in-person workshop) or HIGH FIVE Sport (in-person workshop) - Offered and coordinated by High FIVE Provincial/Territorial authorized providers. Find a workshop at highfive.org/training-calendar
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills (in-person workshop) - Offered and coordinated by Provincial/Territorial coaching representatives. Find a workshop at coach.ca/p140586
- Quality Physical Literacy Experiences & online Evaluation (in-person workshop) - Offered and coordinated by the Sport for Life Society. Click here to see any workshops scheduled in your area, or contact email@example.com to request to book a workshop.