The Sport for Life Canadian Summit brings together leaders who work to enhance the quality of sport and physical activity in Canada. Sport for Life recognizes that quality sport and physical literacy offer rich benefits to Canadian society through improved health, stronger communities, higher sporting achievement, and stronger national identity. By improving sport, Sport for Life aims to improve the lives of all Canadians.
The 2018 Sport for Life Canadian Summit will take place January 23 - 25 at the Hilton Lac-Leamy Hotel, in Gatineau, QC, Canada.
Registration Opens September 2017
To submit an abstract, click here.
Summit News & Updates
Theme – Working Together
The theme of this year’s Summit is “Working Together”. If we want to give participants in sport and physical activity the best possible chance to succeed, then we must ensure collaboration within the sport system and across the recreation, education and health sectors. Partnership and working agreement are needed at all stages of development. Given multisport athletes are more likely to thrive later in their chosen sport, what are we doing to collaborate at the early stage? This year’s Summit seeks promising practices to share with the delegates. There are great examples of ‘Working Together’ so now let’s work together to share and utilize them to create systematic change.
Open Now - Room block at Hilton Lac-Leamy
August 25, 2017 - Notification of presentation acceptance
September 11, 2017 - Registration opens
September 11, 2017 - Brief program announced
October 13, 2017 - Detailed program released
December 22, 2017 - Last day to reserve rooms in the guaranteed block at the Hilton Lac-Leamy
January 23, 2018 - Pre-Summit workshops and sport-specific LTAD meetings
January 24, 2018 - Sport for Life Canadian Summit starts
January 25, 2018 - Sport for Life Canadian Summit ends
January 26, 2018 - World Long-Term Athlete Development Symposium
The Summit will feature keynotes speakers, individual presentations, panel sessions, and interactive breaks. The streams to consider when submitting a presentation include:
- Physical Literacy - This stream will explore physical literacy as the foundation of both participation in physical activity and excellence in sport, providing a gateway for being active for life. Views will be shared from multiple perspectives of multiple sectors such as Health, Education and Recreation. Share how you approach physical literacy in your programs to develop confidence, competence, motivation and creativity in various indoor and outdoor environments, such as on the ground, in the air, in and on water, and on snow or ice.
- Inclusion - This stream will discuss the topic of Inclusion and accessibility in sport and physical activity. How are you addressing barriers to participation? What successes have you seen and what strides have we made, and how can we improve? Share you experiences, perspectives and innovative ideas to increase the inclusivity of sport and physical activity.
- The Timing of Excellence - This stream will focus on the Long-Term Athlete Development key factors of Specialization and Excellence Takes Time. What are the right and wrong times to specialize in any one sport? How does a multisport foundation help athletes excel? Discuss how athletes can achieve their full potential through quality sport training and competition over a period of time.
- Keys to Development - This stream will discuss the Long-Term Athlete Development key factors of Developmental Age, Sensitive Periods, and Mental, Cognitive and Emotional Development. Discuss how developmentally appropriate training improves skills and abilities to the greatest effect. Learn about the mental, cognitive and emotional development of young athletes. Share your observations and approaches to developing life skills through sport.
- Periodization & Competition - This stream will explore the Long-Term Athlete Development key factors of Periodization and Competition. Speakers will inform about managing training and competition time within annual and seasonal cycles. Experts will challenge delegates to prevent injury and burnout in athletes. Discussion will occur to determine how you can increase the amount of ‘meaningful’ competition.
- Collaboration & Continuous Improvement - This stream is intended to focus on the Long-Term Athlete Development key factors of System Alignment & Integration and Continuous Improvement. Confer to learn how your organization is working with others to improve the delivery of quality sport and physical literacy. Get examples of how to foster collaboration, not just between organizations, but across sectors as well to build a system to have a collective impact. Share the successful changes you have implemented or experienced.
To submit an abstract, click here. Abstracts will be accepted until August 15. Early bird registration for the Summit will open September 11.
The 2018 Sport for Life Canadian Summit will take place January 23-25, 2018 at the Hilton Lac-Leamy hotel.
The Hilton Lac-Leamy hotel in Gatineau-Ottawa, Quebec, Canada, is adjacent to the spectacular Casino du Lac-Leamy, on the shores of Leamy Lake, only five minutes from downtown Ottawa, the Nation's Capital, home of the Ottawa Senators hockey club. The complex is also located only 25 minutes away from the Ottawa International Airport and 15 minutes away from the Ottawa Train station.
The region has many attractions that are just minutes away from our hotel in Gatineau-Ottawa, Quebec, including Parliament Hill, The National Gallery of Canada, museums, The Rideau Canal, the world's largest skating rink, Gatineau Park and much more.
The Hilton Lac-Leamy hotel is a superb location in the heart of a region renowned for its culture and green spaces - it happens at the Hilton!
3, Boulevard du Casino
Canada J8Y 6X4
Hotel reservations are close!
- Book online!
- Book via phone by calling toll free 1-866-488-7888 and quote the Sport for Life Summit Booking Code CUD.
Rooms are provided on a Run of House basis at the rates listed below. Note: The cut off date for reservations is December 22, 2017. After this date, the following rates cannot be guaranteed.
|Junior and Murphy Suite**||$294|
|Junior suite (whirlpool)**||$319|
|Junior suite / Executive floors**||$344|
|Junior suite (whirlpool) / Executive floors**||$369|
*$25.00 per additional adult, to a maximum of four (4) people per room,
**$40.00 per additional adult to a maximum of four (4) people per room.
- Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. All guests arriving before 4:00 p.m. will be accommodated as rooms become available.
- Check-out time is noon.
- High speed internet connection included.
- To ensure you receive a non-smoking room, please request at the time of booking.