The Situation in Canada
Several traditional shortcomings exist within the Canadian sport system that have led to serious consequences in the training and development of our athletes. You can learn more about these issues in sport here. Fortunately, the Long-Term Development Framework has been established and adopted by every national sport organizations within Canada as a way to address these issues and improve the overall sport landscape in this country. Coaches stand at the forefront of delivering programs that respect the principles and science of Long-Term Development.
How Sport for Life Supports Coaches
Sport for Life improves the quality of sport and physical activity in Canada through improved athlete training and better integration between all stakeholders in the sport system, including sport organizations, education, recreation, and health. A key feature of Sport for Life is Long-Term Development, a developmental pathway whereby athletes follow optimal training, competition, and recovery regimens from childhood through all phases of adulthood.
Sport for Life strives to reshape how we support sport and train athletes at all levels in Canada – from children to adults, from towns to cities, from provinces and regions through to the national level. In realizing this vision, we aim to keep more Canadians active for life with recreational sport and physical activity, and at the same time help Canadians in all sports win more medals internationally.
- Quality Sport for Communities and Clubs
- Physical Literacy Movement Preparation
- Quality Physical Literacy Experiences
Resources and Links
- Actively Engaging Women and Girls
- Easing the pain of cutting kids from sport : are there best practices?
- Articles for coaches to help parents learn about physical literacy at Active for Life
- Coaching Association of Canada
- Club Excellence
- Competition is a Good Servant, but a Poor Master
- Long-Term Coach Development Concept
- Maximizing the Sport Experience for our Children
- Resources for developing physical literacy
- Sleep, Recovery, and Human Performance
- The Female Athlete Passport
- The Role of Monitoring Growth in Long-Term Athlete Development