The Situation in Canada
By 2030, immigration will account for all of Canada's net population growth. Cities across Canada are being transformed by immigration, and these demographic trends will undoubtedly impact Canadian sports. Grassroots and professional sports organizations need to find ways to appeal to this diverse new audience.
How Sport for life Supports Newcomer
Sport and physical activity in Canada need to find ways to engage new citizens. They are a huge demographic trend and offer a tremendous opportunity for new participants and spectators. Sport for Life is working on programs and resources based on the Awareness and First Involvement stages of the Long Term Athlete Development framework. The resource will offer a platform to the sport community on which they can build resources and education to engage new citizens.
Resources and Links
- Engaging Newcomer Girl & Women: Physical Activity & Sport Handbook
- Sport for Life for all Newcomers to Canada
- Newcomer Sport Program - Final Report
- Community Foundations of Canada
- Playing Together - New Citizens, Sports & Belonging